#21 MikeandJack

MikeandJack

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 11,598 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, Tennessee
  • Tennessee Squire:Yes

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:16 AM

Here is something I learned from Joe that I had never heard.

During WW II, there was no metal, aluminum, or tin available. The Distillery had nothing to make caps for their bottles. Lem and Reagor Motlow had someone make wooden, walnut, threaded caps for their bottles during this time. I do not know if I have ever seen a WW II JD bottle before. Joe said all bottles made during the war had these wooden caps. I know the picture is not too good, but here are the only two of these caps known to exist. Joe found these when he first started work at the Distillery in 1966 and found the history of them.

Attached Images

• p1010883_8419.jpg

• Willie Pete likes this

#22 MikeandJack

MikeandJack

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 11,598 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:19 AM

A few odd pictures of Joe's JD items.

Attached Images

• p1010882_7162.jpg
  • p1010880_4237.jpg
  • p1010872_9785.jpg

#23 Crash

Crash

1915 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 1,018 posts
  • Tennessee Squire:No

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:38 AM

SPEEEEECHLESS....WOW.....Outstanding for someone that is not a collector. That is fantastic to know that the first commentrative decanters, Original walnut, wooden mold 1.5 liter Belle , 1 of a kind, ect. are still out there. Thanks Mike for excellent treasure of history.

Merry Christmas.....Rick

#24 MikeandJack

MikeandJack

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 11,598 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:59 AM

A few things I learned from Joe:

1. The Sinatra Belle of Lincoln bottle. 5-10 cases were made (6 bottles per case). Joe said no more than 10 cases were made (60 bottles). He could not remember exactly. All were filled and sealed.

2. I have seen OI on the bottom of many bottles. I assumed this was the year (2001). OI stands for Owens, Illinois. This is where a majority of JD bottles are made. Several bottles were also made in Atlanta, Georgia. They say "Liquor Bottle" on the bottom. Alcoa made all the aluminum caps in Richmond, Indiana.

3. I showed Joe our double lip mini (we have had discussions of this mini here on the forum). He said it was made in 1950, probably from the first batch of mini's ever made at the Distillery. It did have a cork top and not a crimped top on it. They do not have a crimping machine for this type of bottle. That is why it is an early mini. When Joe started work in 1966, mini's were sold in cases of 240.

4. A Lem Motlow mini was never made at the Distillery.

5. The Jack Daniel Statue Bottle was made before 1954. Joe has a picture of Reagor Motlow with one of these bottles and the picture is dated 1954. There are two versions of this bottle.

6. The lady that designed the Monogram bottle was fired by the Distillery soon after it's release because it was not a good seller.

7. The Imperial Quart is very rare. It was a 40.3 oz. bottle that was exported only to Canada. It was larger than a normal quart bottle.

8. The Edward Giaccone Bottle. Joe had never heard of it. He said the Distillery probably sent the bottles to Italy and the wholesaler put Mr. Giaccone's personal label on them. The labels did not come from Lynchburg. He does not have any idea how many were made. (hope this answers your question Ade).

9. Many Jack Daniel items were bootlegged during the 1970's. I specifically asked him about the labels, boxes, and items with the population differences on them. Anything with the population of 361 came from the Distillery. He thinks all others are bootlegged or misprinted. I also asked about the Lem Motlow mini. Wholesalers could buy bottles without labels, and apply their own. This is probably where the Lem mini came from. All labels from the Distillery had to go through Federal Registration. He said lots of items that say "licensed by Jack Daniel Distillery" are bootlegged.
  • JimmyandJen likes this

#25 MikeandJack

MikeandJack

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 11,598 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:15 AM

It is getting late and past my bedtime. I have to work early tomorrow. I have lots more information and pictures to show. I will be very busy until after Christmas. I will try to post more during the holidays.

If anyone has a question about anything for Mr. Fanning, post it or pm me. I will be glad to ask.

I would personally like to thank Mr. Fanning for opening up his home and spending time with me. These pictures and stories are just a small beginning of the items he has and the stories he has to tell.

Before I left his home, he asked if I would have a drink with him. I said sure! He went and got a full and sealed 1961 Black Label bottle and opened it. The whiskey in it looked like mud. He said the bottle had what they called a "hair lip" on it which allowed air into the bottle. He said it did not hurt anything and the proof was still 90. He shook it up and took a drink, then gave it to me. It was absolutely the best whiskey I have ever tasted. I could have drank the whole bottle! It just proved to me that ugly whiskey can still taste good.

#26 MikeandJack

MikeandJack

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 11,598 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:17 AM

I have one of the embossed bottles in my collection.
Any chance of getting a label for me from him? ;)/>

Happy Holidays.
Andreas

I will ask Andreas.
Happy Holidays to you!!

Mike & Beth

#27 JD.Maniac

JD.Maniac

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 12,732 posts
  • LocationSouth Germany

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:36 AM

Oh my goodness - I'm speechless :o/> :o/> :o/>
Thanks so much for the story and the amazing pics ;)/>
Learning every day ;D/>

Happy Holidays guys

#28 colin

colin

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 5,157 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:57 AM

thank you so much - what great stories and pic's - a big thanks to Mr Fanning for sharing all this with us
and to you mike for taking the time to put it on here

#29 Craigo

Craigo

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 6,309 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:22 AM

Great pics and information, thanks for sharing Mike and a special thanks to Joe for allowing you to photograph his SUPER COOL items

(score)/>(score)/>(score)/>(score)/>(score)/>(score)/>(score)/>(score)/>

#30 Werner

Werner

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Moderators
  • 17,009 posts
  • LocationKirchdorf, Germany (Bavaria)

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:15 AM

Oh my goodness - I'm speechless :o/> :o/> :o/>
Thanks so much for the story and the amazing pics ;)/>

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#31 Ade

Ade

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 8,973 posts
  • LocationDartford Kent U.K.
  • Ebay Name:adesixtyeight

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for the pics and the insight of bottles and their history.
Amazing collection of moulds and bottles.

You must have been like a kid in a candy store Mike.

Thanks for printing the info on the Giaccone bottle,

Looking forward to more pics and stories.

#32 JeePee

JeePee

1954 Gold Medal Member

• RIP Never Forgotten
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:04 AM

very good information Mike! Thank you for sharing this with us. Also thank you for thinking about all we (the members of the forum) spoke about the last couple of months... the green pig shot, the mini from before prohibition, the statue bottle etc. tc. Finally an answer from someone that knows Jack. Top!

Hope there will be more of these threads!! I think it would be good to start saving questions about the older stuff and ask Mr. Fanning or other people with knowledge to answer them.
I bet we have tons of questions about some rare items.

Again... top Thread !!

JeePee

PS. I got Mr. Fannings bottle as well in my collection.. Uh... is there a second label available?

#33 pullpints

pullpints

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 5,053 posts
  • LocationMiddleton cheney,northamptonshire
  • Ebay Name:Thejackpub

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:26 PM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOBBED SMACKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#34 germanjack

germanjack

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:59 PM

I will ask Andreas.
Happy Holidays to you!!

Mike & Beth

Thanks in advance Mike!! That would be...... ;)/> ;D/> ;D/>

Andreas

#35 Dan

Dan

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 3,204 posts
  • LocationDuluth Minnesota
  • Ebay Name:snards

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:34 PM

Priceless information and pictures Mike!!! Would have also loved to have been sitting in on that conversation with you and Joe!! Looking forward to other pictures and stories from your visit. Do thank Joe for sharing his invaluable knowledge with us.

Now... where can one get a WWII bottle with a wooden cap? ;D/>

#36 OlliP

OlliP

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 9,533 posts
  • Location27404 Elsdorf, Germany

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:40 PM

A few things I learned from Joe:
7. The Imperial Quart is very rare. It was a 40.3 oz. bottle that was exported only to Canada. It was larger than a normal quart bottle.

FANTASIC INFO and PICS here, Mike!!! Thanks for that! I can see some things I can only dream of. BUT: Does that mean my 1,136 fake seal bottle is a very rare one? ;D/>

Attached Images

• dsc03449_58_2853.jpg
  • dsc03446_6895_8624.jpg

#37 MikeandJack

MikeandJack

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 11,598 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:39 PM

FANTASIC INFO and PICS here, Mike!!! Thanks for that! I can see some things I can only dream of. BUT: Does that mean my 1,136 fake seal bottle is a very rare one? ;D/>

Nice bottle Ollie, but not the one Joe is referring to. "Imperial Quart" is embossed on the older Canadian bottle. I think there is a picture on JeePee's site.

#38 Rob

Rob

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 10,644 posts
  • Ebay Name:robertmoon1974

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:41 PM

Not as rare as my 1974 Paper Seal Imperial Quart! ;)/>

(there's a picture on my collection thread - I don't want to put it here as this is a wonderful thread about Joe Fanning ;)/> )

#39 Rob

Rob

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 10,644 posts
  • Ebay Name:robertmoon1974

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:54 PM

very good information Mike! Thank you for sharing this with us. Also thank you for thinking about all we (the members of the forum) spoke about the last couple of months... the green pig shot, the mini from before prohibition, the statue bottle etc. tc. Finally an answer from someone that knows Jack. Top!

Hope there will be more of these threads!! I think it would be good to start saving questions about the older stuff and ask Mr. Fanning or other people with knowledge to answer them.
I bet we have tons of questions about some rare items.

Again... top Thread !!

JeePee

As Jeepee has said, top, top thread Mike - thanks so much for helping us all! ;D/>

#40 pearson23sailor

pearson23sailor

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 5,630 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:57 PM

Like Sue said, this is much better than anything on TV. Thank you so much Mike (and Mr. Fanning) for the information and pics! It is nice to know the info on the 1/2 pint squares. I have two of them (empties) and I always wondered about them.

Dang! I sold my Imperial Quart (empty too) to Southrock. I knew I should have kept that..lol!

Really looking forward to more of this conversation. Thank you!

SSL