#1 germanjack

germanjack

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 4,107 posts
  • Tennessee Squire:Yes

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:08 AM

Miss Mary Bobo's Boarding House
Just off the town square in Lynchburg is Miss Mary Bobo's Boarding House where Mr. Jack took many a noonday meal. It's a Lynchburg tradition that started as a traveler's hotel back in 1867. Miss Mary Bobo ran the boarding house until her death in 1983, one month prior to her 102nd birthday. During Miss Mary's time, most of the boarders who lived and took all their meals there were old bachelors like Tom Motlow, who ran the Farmer's Bank, and the federal agents assigned to regulate the Distillery.
Since 1984, Jack Daniel's great-grandniece, Miss Lynne Tolley, has been the proprietress of Miss Mary's. It's no longer a boarding house, but it's a great place for a real home-cooked meal, experiencing Southern hospitality at its best and even making some new friends.
Below are Miss Bobo's Recipes.

Miss Mary Bobo's Southern Fried Chicken
1 frying chicken, cut into pieces
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups flour
3 cups lard

In a shallow bowl, beat eggs and stir in milk, salt and pepper. Soak chicken in milk mixture for about 5 minutes. Roll each piece in flour. Set aside to dry.
In a large cast iron skillet, heat the lard over medium high heat. When the fat is very hot, add the thighs and legs and cook for several minutes. Add the other pieces, being careful not to overcrowd the skillet. Cook until chicken is golden brown on one side about 5 minutes. Turn and brown on the other side. Reduce heat to medium low. Cover and cook 15 minutes. Turn pieces, cover and continue to cook 15 minutes. Uncover the last 5 minutes so the crust will be crisp. Makes 4 servings.
Our Famous Pork Ribs
2 pounds country-style lean pork ribs
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
12 ounces ketchup
1/2 cup grated onion
Salt, to taste

Cut the ribs into serving pieces Place ribs in a large pot and cover with water. Cover the pot and simmer until ribs are tender, about 40 minutes. In a small saucepan prepare the sauce by combining the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Place the ribs in a 3-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with salt. Pour the sauce over the ribs. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes. Makes 4 servings.
Southern Fried Catfish
Vegetable oil for frying
1/2 cup white cornmeal
1/4 cup flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
6 to 10 catfish fillets (or 4 to 6 whole catfish, skinned)
Salt and pepper, to taste

Heat oil in heavy skillet to 375 degrees F. Combine cornmeal and flour in a shallow bowl. In a separate bowl, beat eggs; add milk and blend well. Season the fish with salt and pepper. Dip fish in the egg mixture and coat with cornmeal mixture. Fry a few pieces of fish at a time in hot oil until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Makes 4 servings.
Pan-Fried Porterhouse Steaks with Lynchburg Pan Sauce
If the weather is lousy outside, then pan-frying a thick porterhouse steak right in the kitchen is a great way to go. The key to success is a big cast iron skillet. It'll cause a good bit of smoke in the kitchen, but it's worth it.
Let the cooked steaks rest on a board while you make the special Lynchburg pan sauce.
2 porterhouse steaks (1 to 1 1/4 pounds each), cut 1 to 1 1/4 inches thick
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey

Dry steaks; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat for ten minutes. Coat with oil. Place steaks in pan; cook, until seared and brown on one side, about 5 minutes. Turn and cook 5 minutes on the other side for medium-rare; 6 minutes for medium. Remove from skillet. Melt butter in skillet; stir in Worcestershire sauce and whiskey. Bring to a boil; cook 1 to 2 minutes. Slice steaks, if desired. Pour sauce over steaks and serve. Makes 4 to 5 servings.
Tims Ford Tenderloin Tips
2 pounds beef tenderloin tips, sliced
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
Salt
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey
1 cup crushed canned tomatoes
2 teaspoons sugar Mashed potatoes
Melt butter in large heavy skillet. Cook meat quickly until browned. Season with salt. Stir in mushrooms, onion and garlic; simmer for several minutes. Stir in wine, Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey, tomatoes and sugar. Simmer 30 minutes or until tender. Serve with mashed potatoes. Makes 4 servings.

Enjoy!! ;)/>

Andreas

#2 Rob

Rob

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 10,644 posts
  • Ebay Name:robertmoon1974

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:09 AM

Cheers Andreas!

I'm feeling very hungary now! ;)/>

#3 chattnsquire

chattnsquire

1954 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 2,355 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, Tennessee
  • Ebay Name:chattnsquire

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:44 PM

Made some Southern fried chicken for dinner last night, but didn't cook it in lard. Having done so would lead people to give me the nickname "Lard A**" because that's exactly where all that fat would go...lol

Thanks Andreas

#4 jackdanielsnhardcola

jackdanielsnhardcola

1954 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:36 PM

Cheers Andreas,

... My stomach is now a rumbling, LOL ;)/>

#5 Jack MI

Jack MI

1914 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 580 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:50 PM

Ate at Miss Mary's just the other weekend and that chicken is fantastic! Heck - everything was fantastic. Ha - I think the lard is the only thing holding me from cooking it at home too Kathy! :)/>

JM

#6 chattnsquire

chattnsquire

1954 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 2,355 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, Tennessee
  • Ebay Name:chattnsquire

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:46 PM

Hey Roger...ever find yourself in Chattanooga, look me up...I can teach you to make good fried chicken without the lard

#7 Jack MI

Jack MI

1914 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 580 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:37 AM

You bet Kathy! I've been cooking my whole life and have cooked chicken every way under the sun, but haven't found a good fried chix recipe I can stick with. :(/> Next time I'm in town, I do believe I'll take you up on that offer! :)/> Thanks!!

Roger

#8 JD.Maniac

JD.Maniac

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 12,007 posts
  • LocationSouth Germany

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:17 AM

Cheers Andreas!
I'm feeling very hungary now! ;)/>

I'm just feeling hungry too :-//>

#9 jackdandrinker

jackdandrinker

1905 Gold Medal Member

• Inactive
  • 78 posts
  • Tennessee Squire:No

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:56 AM

Having eaten before at Miss Mary Bobo's I can thoroughly recommend it. The food was great and plentiful and the friends I met were second to none. The feeling I got as I walked through the front door knowing Mr Jack had also done this many times years ago was even better than visiting Graceland. Lynne is a fabulous host and is always on hand to sign one of her cook books and get her picture taken with you. Hope you all enjoy the trip. I'm so jealous. mjd82jack

#10 Wildlady

Wildlady

1954 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationSouth Germany

Posted 03 September 2007 - 05:13 PM

Looking forward to that.................. ;D/>
:chow/>:toast2/>:chow/>:chilli(jumper):chilli:popcorn:popcorn

SSL