digma_jack_daniels

1915 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 1,234 posts
  • LocationFairfield West
  • Ebay Name:digma_jack_daniels
  • Tennessee Squire:Yes

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:57 PM

Internet Wines also have the Rye in stock - http://www.internetw...m/rws58544.html

Cool that you got an early bottle for your collection Tony, now I'm looking forward to your review

We cannot ship outside the U.S :-(

#42 AJ Jack Daniels

AJ Jack Daniels

1905 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 166 posts
  • LocationMenlo Park, California
  • Ebay Name:AJJackdaniels

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:12 PM

So I took a bottle of the JD Single Barrel Rye over to my buddy Squire Steve's house in Clarkston, Michigan last night to do our first taste testing:

Barrel Number: 15 - 7468  Bottling Date: 12 -15 -2015   Rick No -L2

Opened the bottle, and taking a sniff there was a light smokey aroma to it. Poured it over ice and took a couple of sips and it kind of reminded me of the taste of Gentlemen Jack (smoother) but with a higher proof at 94. The writing on the back of the bottle mentions "Oak" and you can taste that, but it didn't seem to have an after taste. Also I noticed it did not have much of a "bite" to it as you experience with a regular Jack Daniels Single Barrel.

Overall verdict: I don't drink Rye very often so I'm not sure if I'm the right person to judge it but i would rate it as good, but not great. It's different, it might go well as an after dinner drink straight up in a brandy glass, no ice?.

Other observations:

I ordered two bottles from Liquorama Fine Wines on-line (located in California) for $54.99 USD a 750 ML bottle. They came well packed in Styrofoam, but unfortunately they did not include the boxes! i guess I should have stated that I wanted the boxes when i ordered the two bottles?

The other Single Barrel Rye bottle and box I already had was brought back for me by my sisters friend from the White Rabbit store in Lynchburg. It had a Bottling date of 12-15-2105 and the Barrel No was 15-7447 (same barrel number as Greg Johnson's listed earlier in this posting). 

So  I was wondering if the barrels are sequentially numbered (15-7447 to 15-7468) which would mean that they bottled up at least 21 barrels on December 15th, with about 240 bottles to a barrel times 21 barrels, that would equal at least 5,040 bottles were filled in one day. Assuming they still do that at the distillery on the assembly line there, that's a pretty decent sized run for one day, i guess?

At any rate, that's my humble opinion and observations. The unopened bottle I have is on my collection shelf next to the other Single Barrel bottles and it looks OK, guess i just have to get use to the red label !!

Tony  (AJ Jack Daniels)

IMG_1618.jpg

• Max, Belgianjack, southrock and 6 others like this

#43 Max

Max

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Administrators
  • 24,474 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, England
  • Ebay Name:jackdaniels-uk

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:50 PM

Great review Tony - thank you,

Now you have brought up a very interesting thing with the barrel numbers - as a new product I wouldn't be surprised if they bottled 5000 in one day, however, looking at the barrel numbers on these it looks like the SB Rye is included in the barrel numbers of Single Barrel - 15-7447 is the 7447th Single Barrel in 2015.

I thought the Rye would have been numbered separately but obviously not
  • Achim and Bulldog100 like this

#44 squireno7

squireno7

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 12,687 posts
  • Location706 miles from Heaven

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:22 PM

great insight, I have yet to try it but I will.....

#45 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

1914 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 988 posts
  • LocationSheboygan, WI U.S.A

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:35 AM

I am one of the few that really like the Un-Aged Rye. The Rested was very good also. I am looking frorward to opeing the SB Rye tonight, 1st neat, 2nd with a pair of whiskey stones, and last wth a ice cube. Kind of a ritual that I do when trying a NEW whiskey. A piece of dark chocolate before tasting will also bring out some different tastes as I sip them. Plus I should sleep like a baby...It's a Win Win situation  ;D Will post my opinion later.

Edited by Captain Jack, 29 February 2016 - 12:36 AM.

• Max, southrock and Achim like this

#46 claimjumper2000

claimjumper2000

1981 Gold Medal Member

• RIP Never Forgotten
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:46 AM

Just tried the SB Rye and I thought it was very good.. smooth tasting for the proof...expecting it to be a little harsh but not at all... I drank it neat with a little water back.. A pleasant surprise for an old SB drinker. 

• Max and Achim like this

#47 iacovos

iacovos

1915 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationCyprus
  • Ebay Name:iacovos_harley

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:56 AM

Where can we buy and what are the prices?

Our JD distributor is not importing these special versions of the SB  :(

THANKS

#48 Gerrard08

Gerrard08

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationLeeds

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:45 PM

Thanks for the tasting notes, if it does taste like GJ then I'm out as I'm not a fan of that a bit too sweet for me so at least it saves me some funds as for that reason I don't collect it. 

• iacovos likes this

#49 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

1914 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 988 posts
  • LocationSheboygan, WI U.S.A

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:42 PM

Thanks for the tasting notes, if it does taste like GJ then I'm out as I'm not a fan of that a bit too sweet for me so at least it saves me some funds as for that reason I don't collect it. 

I am a big GJ fan...Best in my Gent Manhattens...But the SB Rye has a bolder taste than the GJ, in a good way.The SB Rye is smoother than the regular SB and tasted best to me just chilled with my whiskey stones. I just can't sip my whiskey at room temp... sorry guys & gals. Tasted fine with a ice cube, but lost a bit of the taste as the ice melted. I give it a 8 out 10, and plan to keep this in stock in the "Drinkable Jack"  catagory ;D .

• Max, qdctj, Dan and 4 others like this

#50 Max

Max

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Administrators
  • 24,474 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, England
  • Ebay Name:jackdaniels-uk

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:35 PM

Ok I had to crack open a bottle and give it a try for myself. The unaged rye I thought was awful, the rested rye was certainly much better but I still wasn't a fan and you could tell it still needed a little more time in the barrel, the Single Barrel Rye is still not my thing but I have to admit the extra proof certainly steps it up a level yet it is extremely smooth, I'm sure this will be a big hit in the Rye market.

I will save the rest of the bottle for friends to sample when they visit ;)

image.jpeg
  • qdctj, Dan, southrock and 6 others like this

#51 blkold7

blkold7

1915 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:09 PM

Looks like the Barrel Numbers for the Single Barrel Rye went higher than reported earlier for the possible First Bottling Date of 12.10.15 as shown here the Barrel # 15-7486

SB Rye high number.jpg <script> </script>

<script> </script>

<script> </script>

• Max and southrock like this

SSL