#21 prmarkmc

prmarkmc

1905 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 65 posts
  • LocationNashville TN
  • Tennessee Squire:Yes

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:58 PM

I'm thinking this is going to be short lived, 49.99 is a high price for a new whiskey trying to make it in the competitive whiskey market.
I for one will now want two bottles, one to taste and one to collect
Sent from my iPhone using Maxwells House JD Forum Mobile App

I agree Max. I bought 2 for the same reason. I think of it more of a "novelty" than a real brand akin to Popcorn Sutton. A great way to pay tribute to important people in Tennessee whisky history but not a serious brand. The Nearest Green story has gotten a lot of people talking here in Tennessee, and created quite a buzz especially in the African American community. That can't be anything but good for JD and BF.

BTW, haven't seen the "Clear" 90 proof anywhere yet and none of the dealers I've talked to know when it will be officially released.
  • Max and southrock like this

#22 qdctj

qdctj

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 4,081 posts
  • Ebay Name:qdctj

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:31 PM

Is this being made at Jack's Distillery or somewhere else?

• southrock and prmarkmc like this

#23 southrock

southrock

1954 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:10 PM

Was wondering the same thing !!

• prmarkmc likes this

#24 Max

Max

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Administrators
  • 24,474 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, England
  • Ebay Name:jackdaniels-uk

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:36 AM

Is this being made at Jack's Distillery or somewhere else?

Was wondering the same thing !!

This is a VERY interesting question and one I'd also thought about also

I'd checked the website etc previously and it looked like they were careful to set it up as an individual company however I do know Jack Daniels & Brown-Forman have been considering Nearest Green's involvement in the brand for sometime and had even considered adding him as #1 in the list of Master Distiller, they may not admit it but I'm sure they are involved with this, if not just for the production maybe financial backing
  • Belgianjack, southrock and prmarkmc like this

#25 blkold7

blkold7

1915 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:02 AM

The answer to where the Whiskey is being made is not at Jack Daniel's. In an article that is later listed in this post from the NY Times, it tells why and the following is what was said:

"The company had intended to recognize Green’s role as master distiller last year as part of its 150th anniversary celebration, Mr. McCallum said, but decided to put off any changes amid the racially charged run-up to the 2016 election. “I thought we would be accused of making a big deal about it for commercial gain,” he said."

The person behind this is a Black Female Author named Fawn Weaver, who wrote a few Happy Marriage Books. She is now writing a book about Nearest Green. Her husband name is Keith Weaver, an vice executive president at Sony Pictures. They are also thinking about making a movie. They also bought the old Dan Call Farm in Lynchburg, TN

She bought a batch of whiskey she bought from another Distillery and slapped a label on it and called it what you see today as being Nearest Green 1856 Whiskey and she is planning to produce a second, unaged spirit, made according to her specifications, which she says will mimic the style of whiskey that Green and Daniel probably made. You can read all about it in the following NY Times article and for me, I have never cared for anything from the NY Times, but it is the story that was wrote about Fawn Weaver and her plans on Nearest Green..    

https://www.nytimes....rest-green.html

Another thing she has made claims to is that Nearest Green was not a slave that Dan Call owned. She claims that a company called Landis & Green rented Nearest Green to Dan Call and other farmers to teach them how to make Whiskey. I have my doubts to what she has been saying. I have been having conversations with her and I ask her about the part on Nearest Green teaching Dan Call how to make Whiskey instead of Dan Call teaching Nearest Green. She wrote back the following as her answer:

Fawn Weaver said

" Here is what I know. Dan Call's son, A.B. Call, had Sunday dinner at the Tucker's home every week. The Tuckers property adjoin the Dan Call Farm. The recollection of Francis Tucker is Nearest Green taught Dan Call the art of charcoal mellowing".

This is all she has provided to change History as it has been written before. Also if you read the NY Times piece that I furnished a link to, you will see she says her knowledge to everything is coming from the collective memory of the town’s black residents. She did not interview any of the other residents, just the black residents, which can lead to being one sided instead of talking to everyone. 

My honest opinion of this whole thing is this person is nothing but what was known in the old days as a Carpetbagger, one who comes into an area to make money in a situation they can take advantage of and Fawn Weaver is doing that.

Also in the NY Times article it now says Jack Daniel is listed as "The Second Master Distiller". I don't see how this would be since Nearest Green taught Jack way before Jack Daniel's Whiskey was ever made. But just like her say Nearest taught Dan Call, I really think all of this is a bunch of Hog Wash and a Con Artist has found a way to make a Buck. JMO Big Time!

Roy

• Max, JD.Maniac, Belgianjack and 3 others like this

#26 TateC

TateC

1914 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 680 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:23 AM

From what the people at the distillery say, this is not a JD product in any way. I have also heard from some that it isnt very good either. Dont know if there is any truth to it but it has been said that it was a product but into production quickly to try and benefit from this publicity and it is cheap crap in a pretty bottle.  Frankly I question this whole "new developement" as it seems to be more of a political or attention getting ploy than anything with substance.

The new story is that Jack learned how to make whiskey from Nearest. Ok, so what, Nearest was a worker for Dan Call that made his whiskey and who Dan had teach Jack. So does that mean Dan Call never really made whiskey himself? He just started distilling by bringing in someone else? In those days that didnt happen, most the time one person might start it and as demand or time grew they would bring someone else in to run it. Just because Nearest taught Jack how to do it doesnt make him the creator of Jack Daniels. It is also my understanding that when Jack took it over and moved to Lynchburg and started Jack Daniels that Nearest did not go with him. So does that mean Nearest never actually distilled under the Jack Daniels name?

If you worked at a factory and learned how to make soap from an employee at that factory and then went out on your own and started your own soap company does that mean that the other employee should now be considered the creator or your soap and 1st CEO? Kind of sounds stupid when you look at it this way doesnt it?

I also hear people claiming Nearest created Jack Daniels Whiskey. Again that is hard to swallow as whiskey was being made way before any of them were alive and slight changes in recipes do not make you the creator. How many company employees have made changes to products, or operations within the company they work? They might get a bonus but does anyone then consider them the "creator" of the company or product?

When Jack started the company he was considered the first Master Distiller not because he made the whiskey but because he oversaw the product. Arnett, Bedford, Bobo,etc did not make the whiskey, there are employees that do that (like Nearest?) but they  oversaw the product and are considered the Master Distiller.

I may not know the whole story or may have it all wrong, I dont pretend to be a historical expert with Jack Daniels. But I am sorry to tell me that because someone other than Dan Call taught Jack how to make whiskey that now makes that person the creator and 1st Master Distiller seems like total crap to me. Sounds more to me like another big company trying to bring attention to them or their company as this country continues to flush down the politically correct toilet.

• Max, blkold7, JD.Maniac and 4 others like this

#27 TateC

TateC

1914 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 680 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:26 AM

Roy, just read the article you attached and basically I think it hit the nail on the head!!

"My honest opinion of this whole thing is this person is nothing but what was known in the old days as a Carpetbagger, one who comes into an area to make money in a situation they can take advantage of and Fawn Weaver is doing that.

Also in the NY Times article it now says Jack Daniel is listed as "The Second Master Distiller". I don't see how this would be since Nearest Green taught Jack way before Jack Daniel's Whiskey was ever made. But just like her say Nearest taught Dan Call, I really think all of this is a bunch of Hog Wash and a Con Artist has found a way to make a Buck. JMO Big Time!"

• Max, blkold7, JD.Maniac and 2 others like this

#28 dalewoo10

dalewoo10

1954 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationEstill Springs Tn
  • Ebay Name:dalewoo10

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:13 AM

100 proof -double distilled and aged in Tennessee--- bottled in Nashville

• southrock likes this

#29 southrock

southrock

1954 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:14 PM

So sad that people would go to great lengths to try to make a dime of the name of a man that may or may not have had anything to do with JD !!

I just lost a lot of interest in Uncle Nearest whiskey and doubt if I will spend any $$ on a bottle now.

• Belgianjack and prmarkmc like this

#30 Belgianjack

Belgianjack

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 10,494 posts
  • LocationErps Kwerps, Belgium
  • Ebay Name:Belgianjack

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:53 PM

Well that is a feeling I had from the beginning, to much political human rights stuff going on.

To make myself clear here and this is my opinion only I'm giving here, each thing that is done now is to make others feel better for what happened so long ago.

And to be clear also I do not agree with these awfull things from the past, but it is the past let it be and let us move one, there are far bigger problems then these.

Again YMO!!!!

• Captain Jack, southrock, Muppetloaf and 2 others like this

#31 Belgianjack

Belgianjack

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:25 PM

I remember a conversation some time ago about this, and I had a bad feeling straight away about it.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
  • southrock likes this

#32 Jim0707

Jim0707

1915 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara CA USA
  • Ebay Name:Jim1212123

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:28 PM

So she's charging $60 for some unknown whiskey makers product. Why not just go and buy a Single Barrel bottle of the real thing from Jack Daniels? As someone said earlier. How can he be MD #1 if there is no record of him from the date Jack starting making whiskey in Lynchburg. There must be more to the story then the article is presenting in order to have convinced B&F to make changes. Are they actually mentioning him on the tours now? 

• Belgianjack, southrock and prmarkmc like this

#33 SuperDave

SuperDave

1915 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationVermont USA
  • Ebay Name:SuperDave18

Posted 27 August 2017 - 02:43 AM

As we go thru life we take pieces of everyone we meet with us in some way.  We learn a little something good from some, learn a little something bad from others.  This is our life experience.  I would like to honor Nearest for his piece of teaching Jack BUT he is just another piece of Jack's life experience and learning to decide how he would make the final product.  I certainly have, like Gene, lost interest in purchasing an over priced product to feed the pocket of someone taking advantage of a name.  

• Belgianjack, southrock, prmarkmc and 1 other like this

#34 MikeandJack

MikeandJack

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 11,598 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, Tennessee

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:33 AM

I guess it is time for me to break my silence on this matter.

This story started last year at the Jack Daniel Barrel Tree lighting. That is where Beth & I met Keith & Fawn Weaver. We became (and still are) friends with them after we learned what they were planning to do.

They have spent many hours in our home going over & reading our collection of historical documents. Fawn has traveled all over the southeastern United States gathering information about Jack Daniel Distillery, Nearest Green, and his family. She has accumulated an unbelievable amount of information that I did not know even existed. From all this information, she has reached the conclusion that Nearest Green taught a young Jack Daniel the art of whiskey making.

Personally, Beth & I do not believe this.

We have told Fawn that if she can show us the proof of this theory, we will believe it. We have yet to be shown the proof. Everything we have seen or heard about this theory is based on folklore, not facts. Interviewing someone living today about what happened 150 years ago, does not make it fact. She has interviewed many local people who are not relatives of the Green family and still came to her conclusion. The sad thing about this story is the Brown Forman executives have agreed to it and are in the process of changing the history of Mr. Jack Daniel.

We are not the only people around here that do not agree with this news, but it is what it is.

I want to end this post by saying that Keith & Fawn Weaver and the Green family are some of the nicest people we have ever met. This post is not meant to show disrespect to them, it is just that we will not believe this theory until we see proof.

We have not, and will not support this Nearest Green bottle until this is done.

• Max, blkold7, JD.Maniac and 13 others like this

#35 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

1914 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 988 posts
  • LocationSheboygan, WI U.S.A

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:30 PM

Thanks for the info & update Mike, I may also hold back on the search for this bottle.

I am almost amazed daily on the knowledge & passion that is posted at the Max House Forum. Friends & Family will ask me different questions on the bottles, the whiskey, and the man himself Jack, and in most cases I can answer them. They think I have this vast knowledge of anything Jack Daniels. The tours and such have taught me a lot, but the knowledge from the Forum and more important the Friendships I have acquired are the real reason I have this passion toward Jack.

Got to LOVE the Forum !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :K) 

• Max, blkold7, JD.Maniac and 9 others like this

#36 TateC

TateC

1914 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 680 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:51 PM

In answer to the question are they changing the story of Jack Daniels to include Nearest, the answer is yes. We did a tasting tour a couple of weeks ago since my daughter was home and this would be her first visit as a squire. The woman doing the tour was not someone I was familiar with but she did go into detail about how Nearest taught Jack. But even it what the are trying to say is true here is a little story to put it into perspective:

You start a company building boats, world class wooden boats made from white oak and when you start this company you hire an employee who had been making white oak wood boats for years and had great knowledge on building white oak boats. This person becomes a valuable employee, for many years, and knew every inch of the boats. One day your son gets of age (lets call him Jack) and you have this valued knowledgeable employee teach Jack the art of building white oak boats. After a while you decide to give up the white oak boat building business because you have another business to pursue, and you sell your white oak boat building business to Jack. Jack decides to take the factory to another location, which is closer to water, but the valued employee has been in that town and location for so long he decides not to go with Jack’s white oak boat building business but stays in his home town.

Jack now takes that white oak boat building business puts his name on it and turns it into a huge success. After he passes away he passes the torch of the white oak boat building business to 6 different CEO’s, over the many years. Then one day someone comes up and says that those many years ago Jack was actually taught how to make white oak boats from an employee, at this fathers factory, and not by his father, so now that employee should be considered the 1st CEO and creator of Jack’s white oak boat company!

What do you think you would say? Sounds pretty stupid when you look at it this way huh?! So basically even if what all they claim is true to say that Nearest created Jack Daniel's Whiskey and that he was the 1st Master Distiller is ridiculous. I have seen this changing of history happen more than once now. I remember back in school when my history teacher told us the one thing that can never change is history! lol I wonder what his thoughts are now as I have even seen "history" changed within the school systems and in the very classroom from which he use to teach. To me it is sad, and I for one will not bother to purchase or try an overpriced bottle of Uncle Nearest.

• blkold7, Belgianjack, MikeandJack and 4 others like this

#37 Jim0707

Jim0707

1915 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara CA USA
  • Ebay Name:Jim1212123

Posted 27 August 2017 - 05:26 PM

Problem now is, can B&F ever admit that they might have been hoodwinked by the city slickers? Once they acknowledge this, it then becomes fact. Sad that so much history can be rewritten by just a few people.
  • blkold7, MikeandJack and southrock like this

#38 TateC

TateC

1914 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 680 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 27 August 2017 - 06:32 PM

One of the reasons I really started and enjoyed collecting was the history of Jack Daniels. The small humble beginnings in a small town in TN that has stayed that way for many years (even though I have seen big corporate movement lately). But now they want to change that history to a more politically correct version which stinks with big business influence.

To be honest I have seen this movement coming for a number of years as Jack Daniels even in Lynchburg became more commercial and disingenuous. As a result I have not done much in the way of collecting for the last couple of years. I guess it kind of diminished my interest, but now if they continue to follow down the road of changing the history of Jack Daniel's then I just may be out.

In case anyone is interested you can address your thoughts to BF and the board of directors by email:  Brown-Forman@b-f.com

• blkold7, Belgianjack, MikeandJack and 3 others like this

#39 Belgianjack

Belgianjack

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 06:43 PM

Personally, I will not stop collecting or leave the brand Jack Daniels, I like it to much and the family and friends here mean the world to me.

What I will do is, (again this is my personal opinion) completely ignorn everything that come with the Nearest thing or that changes history in the line of the Master Distillers.

• blkold7, Captain Jack, MikeandJack and 2 others like this

#40 MikeandJack

MikeandJack

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 11,598 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, Tennessee

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:59 PM

About 44 years ago, Beth & I started collecting Jack Daniel's because of the history. We will not stop collecting now because of this new turn of events. This is now personal for us. As most of you know, Beth is a relative of Jack Daniel. We have several of his artifacts and ALL of his genealogy. We can assure you the history of Jack Daniel and his Distillery has not changed in our home.

• blkold7, JD.Maniac, Belgianjack and 15 others like this

SSL