12 replies to this topic

#1 blkold7

blkold7

1915 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 1,674 posts
  • Tennessee Squire:Yes

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:32 PM

The Lynchburg Sentinel, as far as I know was a Local Newspaper in Lynchburg ,Tennessee. I have 62 pdf of different edition of The Lynchburg Sentinel. The Lynchburg Sentinel was established on April 3,1874 http://www.tennessee...-newspapers.htm. The 1st edition I have started on June 5,1874 and the last issue I have is July 23,1913. Of course ,I am missing some issue. Not sure when The Lynchburg Sentinel stopped their press.

Brad Call brought to my attention a particular issue. That issue is March 23,1877. In this issue you will find some changes to History, that you did not know of before.

You will find that the Lincoln County Process is much older than Nearest Green. 

You will also find that as of 1877, even though Jack Daniel registered The Distillery as The Jack Daniel's Distillery in 1866, it was still Daniel & Call Distillery in 1877.

You will also find out there was Sweet Mash Whiskey, something I must admit never heard of.

And one more thing, in this article and you will need to think this thru, it may show you the answer to an aged old question, "Why did Jack Daniel put "Old No7 Brand" on his product?

Brad and I discussed all of this and it made perfect sense. But I am not going to give you the answer right away if you do not find them. Actually I will wait a while until Brad signs on and let him tell you.

So here is what to do, open the pdf titled Lynchburg Sentinel Mar_23_1877. Once you have it open, go to the 3rd page, 2nd column titled "The Sour Mash Distillers".  It is best to enlarge the pdf until it will get no larger in order to be able to clearly read 

Roy

Attached Files

Edited by blkold7, 01 October 2017 - 11:33 PM.

• JD.Maniac, Belgianjack, MikeandJack and 12 others like this

#2 MikeandJack

MikeandJack

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 10,719 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, Tennessee

Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:50 AM

FANTASTIC POST Roy!

Thanks for sharing with everyone.

Some of the best reading I have seen in a while.

Lots of questions answered.

• southrock and Bedford County Native like this

#3 Max

Max

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Administrators
  • 22,953 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, England
  • Ebay Name:jackdaniels-uk

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:15 AM

Oh wow - awesome !!!

I need more to to absorb this info when I get home from work this evening

Sent from my iPad using Maxwells House JD Forum Mobile App
  • southrock likes this

#4 southrock

southrock

1915 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 1,489 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:11 PM

Fantastic info !!!!  LOVE the  TRUE history !!   Thanks Roy !!

• JD.Maniac and muxnow like this

#5 Belgianjack

Belgianjack

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 10,063 posts
  • LocationErps Kwerps, Belgium
  • Ebay Name:Belgianjack

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:34 PM

Thank you Roy, great piece of history!!

#6 Grumble

Grumble

1905 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 190 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:08 PM

Thanks Roy, that's very interesting. So old number seven became new number sixteen. Makes sense as long as Daniel and Call had been number seven.

• blkold7 and southrock like this

#7 blkold7

blkold7

1915 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:01 PM

I would loved to have taken full credit on this, but it was Brad's idea. He pointed all of this out to me and I fully agree with what he came up with.
  • JD.Maniac and southrock like this

#8 Willie Pete

Willie Pete

1905 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 104 posts
  • LocationLynchburg TN

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:43 PM

very interesting read!

• southrock likes this

#9 qdctj

qdctj

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 3,804 posts
  • Ebay Name:qdctj

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:33 PM

Very good reading.  Is there a list of the distilleries by District as would be interesting to see that and also why the Districts changed?

#10 blkold7

blkold7

1915 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:38 AM

Very good reading.  Is there a list of the distilleries by District as would be interesting to see that and also why the Districts changed?

Right now, the list that is showing is what I know of. Brad said he has some more documents, so it may be in there. I know of some stuff he has, but I don't know if he has told me everything. As for me, I have 62 issues of the Lynchburg Sentinel that I am going thru. Seen some ads for Tolley & Eaton Distillery for sale, but yet to see if it sold. Their Distillery might be where The Jack Daniel's Distillery is located now, but not 100% sure. Still investigating. Hope to find more pdf's on the Lynchburg Sentinel for the ones I am missing. The Districts may have changed when Moore County was born, for Lynchburg was Lincoln County at one time if I am not mistaken. One of my issues describes The Beginning of  Moore County, but I skimmed thru it, but marked it to read more at a later date. I am finding a few things of interest, even some that are not about Jack. Marking them, then moving on trying to find anything that I see fit that might be of interest.

• Max, JD.Maniac, qdctj and 2 others like this

#11 MikeandJack

MikeandJack

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 10,719 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:30 PM

To the best of my knowledge, the Tolley & Eaton Distillery was north of Lynchburg close to the Bedford County (Shelbyville) line. It is near the Jimmy Bedford farm and residence. I have been there several times with Jimmy. There is not much left to see. Jimmy told me Jack Daniel bought the Tolley & Eaton Distillery and moved all the equipment to the current Jack Daniel Distillery site. That is why there is not much there now.

On the Dan Call farm, there are 2 Distillery sites. One is the Tolley Distillery site and the other is the Daniel & Call Distillery site.

You have to remember at this time (in the 1870's) there were MANY distilleries in this area.

• Max, blkold7, JD.Maniac and 3 others like this

#12 MikeandJack

MikeandJack

1981 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 10,719 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:42 PM

Here is the only artifact I have ever seen from the Tolley & Eaton Distillery.
It is an envelope from 1883.

Attached Images

• IMG_20171003_083703.jpg

• Max, blkold7, JD.Maniac and 8 others like this

#13 blkold7

blkold7

1915 Gold Medal Member

• Gold Medal Member
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:13 PM

To the best of my knowledge, the Tolley & Eaton Distillery was north of Lynchburg close to the Bedford County (Shelbyville) line. It is near the Jimmy Bedford farm and residence. I have been there several times with Jimmy. There is not much left to see. Jimmy told me Jack Daniel bought the Tolley & Eaton Distillery and moved all the equipment to the current Jack Daniel Distillery site. That is why there is not much there now.

On the Dan Call farm, there are 2 Distillery sites. One is the Tolley Distillery site and the other is the Daniel & Call Distillery site.

You have to remember at this time (in the 1870's) there were MANY distilleries in this area.

Mike,

What made me think it is where it is located now, is what was said in the ad, which is the following:

"A Two-Story frame WAREHOUSE,80 x 30 feet, with a good cellar 20 x 50 feet, and Elevator from cellar to second story. This building is on a lot containing one square acre, and adjoins the Public Square".

But like with any business, you can have property scattered in different areas.  Below is one of the Lynchburg Sentinel Issues if anyone cares to see the rest of the ad. You will also see another ad of another distillery advertising also named "Hiles & Berry". So far with every issue I have looked at, only Tolley & Eaton and Hiles & Berry are the only distilleries that I have seen do any advertising. But yes it is true, many distilleries in the area. Hope to find at least one ad by Daniel & Call, but yet to find

Attached File  Lynchburg_Sentinel_Mar_2_1877.pdf   13.15MB   4 downloads

<script> </script>

• Max, MikeandJack, qdctj and 1 other like this

SSL